To register to vote in Michigan you must be:

  •   a U.S. citizen
  •   at least 18 years of age by election day
  •   a resident of Michigan and the city or township where you are applying to register to vote

Where: In Michigan, your voter registration for all federal, state, and local elections is maintained by your local city or township clerk. You should register to vote at your clerk’s office. Be sure to read the information below and then use the link at the bottom of the page to locate your clerk.

Voters may also register to vote by mail, at your county clerk’s office or by visiting any Secretary of State branch office. In addition, specified agencies providing services through the Family Independence Agency, the Department of Community Health, and the Department of Career Development offer voter registration services to their clients. Military recruitment centers also provide voter registration services.

When: You must register at least 30 days before the election.

Moving: Whenever you move to a new city or township, you must re-register to vote. If you move within a city or township, you must update your address. This can be handled through your local clerk, at a Secretary of State branch office, or by mail. Michigan voters must use the same residential address for voter registration and driver's license purposes. Consequently, if you submit a driver's license address change, it will be applied to your voter registration. Similarly, if you submit a voter registration address change, it will be applied to your driver's license.

Mail-in Forms: A mail-in voter registration form (pdf file) can be obtained here. Mail the completed form to the address indicated on the form. If you register by mail, you must vote in person at your assigned precinct the first time you vote, unless you are:

  •   disabled as defined by state law
  •   60 years of age or older
  •   temporarily residing overseas.

If you are temporarily outside the U.S., you may use a Federal Postcard Application (FPCA) form to register. The FPCA forms are distributed through U.S. embassies and military bases. A Michigan resident who moves and registers out of state may not re-register to vote in Michigan until he or she reestablishes residency here.

You may also register at the same time you renew your driver's license by mail. Eligible drivers receive a voter registration application in the mail with their driver's license renewal information.

Click here to locate your clerk.



Hosting provided by Wayne State University, and Netlink Software Group.
Copyright © 1996-2012